- Sign the petition now! https://www.change.org/DefendTheLeft
- Like the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Defend-The-Left-against-all-bans-and-proscriptions-107876054914888
- Add your group/CLP/Trade union branch by emailing email@example.com
- Initial supporting organisations include: Jewish Voice for Labour, Labour Against the Witchhunt, Labour In Exile Network, Labour Left Alliance, Labour Party Marxists, Labour Representation Committee, Socialist Appeal and Socialist Resistance
- https://www.defendtheleft.co.uk ; https://twitter.com/DefendTheLeft ;
If your organisation/CLP/union branch wants to sign this petition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll add their name below.
Instead of opposing the reactionary Tory government, the Labour leadership is turning its fire against many of its most committed members. The July 20 meeting of the Labour Party NEC is set to proscribe a number of left-wing groups, including Labour Against the Witchhunt, Labour in Exile Network and Socialist Appeal. The motion includes a proposal to investigate yet more groups for possible proscription.
Apparently, the motion states that membership of the groups is “incompatible with membership of the Labour Party”. The rule book already allows for the exclusion of members who campaign against the Labour Party. These organisations do not do that.
The same cannot be said for right-wing factions within the party that consistently and openly campaigned against Labour under Corbyn’s leadership. Yet none of those groups are threatened with proscription.
This is just the latest salvo in the right’s full-blown attack on what remains of the pro-Corbyn left in the Labour Party. It follows the denial to Corbyn himself of the Labour Whip for more than eight months. It follows the silencing of free speech and democracy across the party with whole branches and CLPs being suspended and whole areas of discussion being suppressed, including legitimate expressions of no confidence in the leadership. Expressions of solidarity with Palestinians have been ruled out of order on the basis of unfounded antisemitism claims. Expulsion is no way to deal with political disagreements.
We should be debating how to end draconian anti-trade union laws, reverse privatisation in the NHS and education, combat racism and discrimination, defend our right to protest, resist Fire and Rehire and cuts in benefits, and many more issues of grave concern to the trade union and labour movement.
We urge everyone who wants to build a united, fighting opposition to the Tories to join together against the attempt by the right to reintroduce a list of proscribed organisations. No doubt, other socialist groups will be added to the list, should this first round of proscriptions go through without a hitch.
Show your solidarity!
- Come to the NEC protest on Tuesday July 20 at 12noon (more details here)
- Please sign and share this petition
- Get your organisation/trade union branch to support this petition and our campaign – email email@example.com
Defend The Left – against all bans and proscriptions!https://www.defendtheleft.co.uk