The motion below was passed unanimously by Ceredigion CLP on 27th April.
This CLP calls on the NEC to ensure:
1) that there are fair and transparent procedures and processes in relation to the suspension and expulsion of members from the party, including the right of appeal, and
2) similarly, that there are fair and transparent procedures and processes in relation to the suspension and partial suspension of CLPs and other party units.
We call for:
- transparency both of the procedures in general and also of the processes in particular cases;
- supportiveness within the process both for those who are bringing charges and also for those who are the subject of charges;
- an initial presumption of innocence across the board;
- clear statement of the exact nature of charges;
- identification of those bringing charges;
- reliance on verified, fact-based evidence;
- reasonable time scales for dealing with cases including the right of challenge and reply;
- and proportionality of disciplinary measures.
We recognise the need for the involvement and initiative of paid officials in order to encourage the speedy examination and resolution of difficult situations, but we call on the NEC to ensure that all decisions of paid officials are
- a) based on agreed and well-publicised procedures and values, and
- b) subject to supervision, review and revision by elected post-holders and elected bodies.
We call on the NEC to maintain and strengthen a diverse culture of responsible free speech, discussion and debate within the party.