Labour against the witch-hunt (LAW) was launched in October 2017.
- How to join LAW or affiliate to LAW
- LAW branches
- LAW model motions
- LAW in the media
- Order LAW badges
- Our main leaflet
Our founding principles
1. We demand the Labour Party ends the practice of automatic, instant, expulsion or suspension of Labour Party members;
- that all those summarily expelled or suspended from membership without due process be immediately reinstated;
- that a member accused of a breach of rule be informed of who their accuser is;
- that a member accused of a breach of rule be given all the evidence submitted against them by their accuser;
- that a member accused of a breach of rule be regarded as innocent until proven guilty;
- that membership rights must not be removed until disciplinary investigations and procedures have been completed;
- that disciplinary procedures must include consultation with the accused member’s CLP and Branch;
- that disciplinary procedures must be time limited. Charges not resolved within three months must be automatically dropped.
2. We demand that the Labour Party rejects the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) definition of anti-Semitism, which in its list of examples conflates anti-Semitism with anti-Zionism and support for the rights of the Palestinian people. Instead, the Labour Party should adopt a simple, straightforward, definition of anti-Semitism, such as by Professor Brian Klug: “Anti-Semitism is a form of hostility to Jews as Jews, where Jews are perceived as something other than what they are”.
3. We demand the immediate abolition of the Labour Party’s “Compliance Unit”. Disciplinary decisions should be taken only by elected bodies, not by paid officials. The first part of rule 2.1.4.B (‘Exclusions’) should be abolished: it bars from Labour Party membership anybody who “joins and/or supports a political organisation other than an official Labour group or other unit of the party” and has exclusively been used against left-wingers.
Who can join?
Labour Against the Witchhunt (LAW) is a Labour Party campaign. We urge all those who oppose Labour’s witchhunt against Corbyn supporters and critics of Israel/Zionism to stay in the Party and fight. Labour Against the Witchhunt welcomes the participation of all people who support its three key aims above.
Those, like the Alliance for Workers Liberty, who promote the false anti-Semitism smear, who conflate anti-Semitism with anti-Zionism and who promote the myth of left anti-Semitism, are not welcome in LAW.
Those who, like ‘Socialist Fight’, promote the “socialism of fools” – the view that imperialism’s support for Zionism and Israel is because of the influence of Jews – are also not welcome in LAW.
Labour Against the Witchhunt
BCM Box 8932, London WC1N 3XX
Tel: 07817 379 568